This module is an overview of the organization of the knowledge base as it is described in The Skillful Teacher (Saphier, Haley-Speca, Gower, 2018) text. This session will include a survey of the 18 areas of performance that a teacher must attend to in everyday instruction within four categories: curriculum and lesson planning, motivating students, delivering instruction, and managing a classroom. Participants will develop an understanding and be able to apply the three key concepts of area of performance, repertoire, and matching.
- Explain the purposes and functions of the knowledge base of teaching
- Explain the concepts of “areas of performance,” “repertoire,” and “matching” and how these three concepts define professional knowledge
- Expand/refresh your repertoire of teaching strategies
- Recognize that the larger the repertoire the more precise the match
- Continue to develop cultural proficiency in the context of our schools and classrooms