- 2021-22 Registration Forms – Complete the documents and mail to the Home School Department at Lane Education Service District.
- Home Schooling Overview – This handout is intended to serve as a quick reference guide to answer the most commonly asked questions.
- Lineamientos Para la Educaciόn en Casa – Este folleto tiene el propósito de servir como una guίa de referencia rápida para responder las preguntas más frecuentes.
- Resource Guide – Basic contact information useful in researching home schooling options.
Testing and Assessment Information
Parents/legal guardians must arrange for a standardized achievement test or special education assessment of their home schooled student at the completion of grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. Parents/guardians are responsible for all testing costs. Students transferring from public or private school are not required to take their first test/assessment until the benchmark grade that follows an 18-month grace period. Test results/assessments must be completed by August 15.
- Parent's Guide to Understanding Achievement Testing
- Test Administrators
- Parents Guide to Understanding Special Education Assessment
- Sample IEP Report Form – This document may be used to satisfy the assessment requirements for a student eligible for and receiving special education services at the public school.
- Sample PDP Report Form – This document may be used to satisfy the assessment requirements for a student eligible for and receiving special education services from one or more private service providers (chosen by the parent/legal guardian).
Obtaining a General Education Diploma (GED)
Home schooled students may pursue a GED through a community college or university under the following conditions:
- the student is at least 16 years of age; and
- the student is in compliance with home school laws; and
- authorization forms have been obtained from Lane ESD prior to participation in preparation classes and/or testing.
Home schooled students remain on the home school rolls until a copy of the final GED certificate is forwarded to Lane ESD by the parent or legal guardian.
- Parent Assurance Form – This form must be submitted to Lane ESD at least 10-15 days prior to participation in GED preparation classes and/or testing. Once received by Lane ESD the student's status is verified and the authorization forms are returned to the parent or legal guardian.
Participation in Interscholastic Activities
Home schooled students are eligible to participate in interscholastic activities at their local public school. This eligibility is contingent upon the student receiving a test score at or above the 23rd percentile on an annual standardized achievement test.
The Oregon Sports and Athletic Association (OSAA) governs student participation in sports/athletics in public schools.
Students Ride Free with LTD
Lane Transit District is now offering free transportation for local students through the TouchPass electronic fare system. This free student transit fare program is made available through a grant to LTD from the State of Oregon's Statewide Transportation Improvement Fund (STIF) approved through House Bill 2017.
LTD notes, "A Student Transit Pass is to make it easier for families to get around town by reducing their transportation costs and the demands on parents to transport their children to school and activities. An additional goal is to create life-long transit users to decrease transportation impacts on our environment."
Registered Home School students may ride LTD buses free by following one of the options below:
- Purchase a TouchPass tap card for $3 at the LTD Customer Service Center at 1080 Willamette St., 7 am – 7 pm, Mon – Fri. The tap card can be activated by providing the barcode number to the Home School Department at the Lane ESD 541-461-8285 or email@example.com.
- Download and install the TouchPass Transit App through an app store (Apple or Google Play). Create and register an account for the student. The mobile account can be activated by providing the barcode number to the Home School Department at the Lane ESD 541-461-8285 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
TouchPasses (card or app) renew annually in September based on Home School registration status.
Obtaining a DMV Instructional Permit or License
A Statement of Enrollment is no longer required. Complete information regarding requirements is available at Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles.