Teens Driving Safely
The program consists of four unique, yet interdependent projects:
- Increase driver education instructor training sites in the county
- Lane ESD hosted an instructor training course December 2019 to February 2020. Having the course in Eugene is convenient for Lane County residents who may not be able to attend at other locations. To find out about becoming a Driver Education Instructor, please visit Traffic Safety Education at Western Oregon University.
- Increase number of instructors in the county
- As of December 2019 there are 23 active instructors in Lane County.
- At any given time, we need at least 47 instructors to meet the needs of all students.
- Increase number of teen classes being held at the high schools
- Teen classes are currently held at all Eugene 4J High Schools, Willamette High School, Springfield High School, Siuslaw High School, and Junction City High School.
- Teen classes in Cottage Grove (at the LCC Cottage Grove campus) and Creswell are slated to begin during the 2020-2021 school year.
- As the number of instructors increases, we'll expand into every high school in Lane County!
- Increase the number of teens taking the class
- Driver Education classes cost families anywhere from $225 to $375. To lessen this burden on families, a scholarship fund has been established at the Lane Education Foundation. We are currently seeking sponsors and submitting grant applications to support Lane County's teens! Find out how you can help.
- Teens Driving Safely recently received a Good Neighbor Grant from State Farm in the amount of $15,000! This will help offset the cost of the class for about 65 families. Contact one of the private driving schools to see if your teen qualifies for the scholarship.
Interested in signing your teen up for a Driver Education class?
Contact one of these private driving schools:
- Lane County Driving School (located in Springfield)
- Oregon Driver Training Institute (located in Eugene)
- Rob's Driver Ed LLC (located in Florence) 541-999-9179
Interested in hearing more about the program?
We would be happy to present information about the program and its progress to your group or organization! Please contact our coordinator: