How to build a cabin
Note: A full cabin building guide book is suggested, but the following is a good check list. Visit the Photos page to see how the Masterson Cabin was built.
- Draw up building plans by hand.
- Have the plans drawn on a computer aided drafting (CAD) program.
- Contact local authorities regarding a building permit and required codes.
- Obtain permit and prep building site.
- Level trenches with gravel.
- Compact gravel.
- Build foundation forms.
- Put in rebar and foundation bolts.
- Pour concrete.
- Cut logs in half on long sides and bolt them down.
- Notch short sides onto long sides and insert a long screw for extra notch strength (optional).
- Stack notched logs to desired height.
- Cut door and windows.
- Build gabels.
- Attach ridge pole.
- Attach rafters.
- Nail on skip sheeting.
- Nail on shakes.