Lane County Driver Education Initiative
(Teens Driving Safely – Lane County)
An integral part of Lane County's 2017 Transportation Safety Action Plan, the Lane County Driver Education Initiative began in June 2018 through a generous grant from the Oregon Department of Transportation. Teens Driving Safely – Lane County is part of the Safe Lane Transportation Coalition and, together, we are working to make Lane County roads safer for all modes of transportation.
The mission of Teens Driving Safely is to increase safe driving behaviors of teen drivers in Lane County, which will result in fewer fatal crashes on our roadways. To accomplish this, our goal is to have all Lane County 15-year olds take an ODOT-approved driver education course.
Driver Education Instructor
Teens Driving Safely
The program consists of four unique, yet interdependent projects:
- Increase driver education instructor training sites in the county
- Lane ESD is currently hosting a nine-weekend long Driver Education Instructor training course with a goal of hosting one or two courses every year. Having the course in Eugene is convenient for Lane County residents who may not be able to attend at other locations. To find out about becoming a Driver Education Instructor, please visit Traffic Safety Education at Western Oregon University.
- Increase number of instructors in the county
- To date, nine more Lane County residents are on their way to becoming instructors!
- Increase number of teen classes being held at the high schools
- Fall 2018 saw teen classes at Siuslaw, Willamette, South Eugene, Sheldon, and Churchill High Schools. Once the new instructors begin work, we hope to expand to Mohawk and Cottage Grove High Schools (and add back Junction City and North Eugene High Schools)
- As the number of instructors increases, we'll expand into every high school in Lane County!
- Increase the number of teens taking the class
- Driver Education classes cost families anywhere from $225 to $300. To lessen this burden on families, a scholarship fund has been established at the Lane Education Foundation. We are currently seeking sponsors and submitting grant applications to support Lane County's teens! Find out how you can help.
Interested in signing your teen up for a Driver Education class?
Contact one of these private providers:
- Lane County Driving School (located in Springfield)
- Oregon Driver Training Institute (located in Eugene)
- Rob's Driver Ed LLC (located in Florence) 541-999-9179
Interested in hearing more about the program?
We would be happy to present information about the program and its progress to your group or organization! Please contact our coordinator: